[mythtv-users] Myth native ALSA support

Zaheer Abbas Merali zaheerabbas at merali.org
Tue Jul 8 12:58:55 EDT 2003

On Tue, 2003-07-08 at 03:04, James Knight wrote:
> On Friday, June 27, 2003, at 11:39  AM, m0j0.j0j0 wrote:
>

> <excerpt>Is anyone using the new native ALSA support in Myth?
>
> </excerpt>
>
> As far as I know I'm the only one so far. ;) I'm supposed to be
> working on the rest of the support but haven't had time to finish yet.
>

> <excerpt>I compiled in ALSA support and set Myth to use it, but the
> results so
>
> far aren't too good. Sound seems off from video slightly and the high
>
> pitches are gone. It's hard to describe, but it's just not right.
>
> Switching back to '/dev/dsp' makes everything sound fine again.
>
> </excerpt>
>
> Hrm, dunno...it's been working fine here for a while.

Here, it actually works noticably better.

> Kernel 2.4.20-k7. ALSA 0.9.2-1. snd-via82xx module.

I am using gentoo's gaming-sources based on kernel 2.4.20 with patches
from Con Kolivas: http://members.optusnet.com.au/ckolivas/kernel/

ALSA 0.9.2 with snd-via82xx (motherboard is an ABIT KD7 with a KT400
chipset and onboard audio).

> <excerpt>Just curious if anyone else has played with it and what their
>
> experiences have been.
>
> </excerpt>
>
> As far as I can discern from the (not so great) speakers in my TV, the
> output is identical to the output from /dev/dsp. I'd definitely notice
> if I was having problems of it being unsynched, but I'm not sure I'd
> notice if the tone was slightly different.

It was fine thru dev/dsp and thru the alsa myth support, tho I sense the
native alsa support is working better.

One odd thing I noticed, is on recordings from my DVB card (i.e. mpeg2
program streams), the audio from mplayer without using its native alsa
support causes the audio to go faster and has strange noises.  With -ao
alsa9, fixes this.

So with the via audio chipset I am going to stick with native alsa as
far as I can.

--
Zaheer Abbas Merali <zaheerabbas at merali.org>