[mythtv-users] Re: Quiet Power Supplies/Quiet PC's

Jeff Williams JeffW at rockstargames.com
Thu Jul 10 13:56:43 EDT 2003

As I've had power supply issues on various PC's over the years, let me try to answer this...

I said before that the quietest PSU I've owned is my current, cheap, $18 Allied model.  That's true.  And I've been happy with the results from it and have never had a crash.

I've also bought expensive PSU's that have turned out to be basically trash.  I'm currently wrestling with a $70 Enermax 350 watt PSU in my gaming PC that I'm convinced is responsible for basically killing my PC over the past couple of months.  The PC itself is now pretty much completely dead and I am currently in the process of replacing the CPU and power supply (CPU was giving me problems and I RMA'd it, but I now suspect it was really the power supply all along)... hopefully that will fix it, but it's possible I now also have a dead motherboard (no beeps at all on boot).

This happened over a period of time, and like you said, it was probably due to increasing demands on the power supply as I upgraded my CPU, graphics card, motherboard, and memory, added 5 new fans and a fan controller/LCD display.  I also believe this is why cheap PSU's "die" after a while - but expensive ones can die too if you overload them.  The problem with my Enermax "350 watt" model is that it only offers up a maximum of 185 watts on the most important 3.3v and 5v rails, which are clearly overloaded at this point, or at least right on the edge of being overloaded.  Booting is the most stressful thing a PC can do and my PC just won't boot.

By comparison, my cheap Allied 300 watt unit in my HTPC offers up 180 watts on those same rails.  But I'm running far less powerful equipment in that PC, and I paid 1/4 the amount of money for this power supply as for the Enermax for basically the same level of performance.  I've had no issues at all with the Allied unit running this low-power equipment.

I'm replacing my Enermax with a 400 watt Antec model that's rated at 230 watts on the 3.3 and 5v rails.  That should be enough for that PC.  180 watts on those rails is clearly enough for my HTPC right now, but may not be as I upgrade the PC with hand-me-downs from my main PC over the next few years.  I don't think PSU's die over time, I think they become overloaded as you add things to your PC, and most people don't bother paying attention to a PSU until they start having problems.

Oh, one other spec to pay attention to is ripple - you want a good, consistent current going into your PC.  I'm actually not sure how cheap PSU's like my Allied compare in this area, but again, this is not a spec that should change over time.

It doesn't matter how much you pay for a PSU.  What the expensive models do usually give you are bigger heatsinks, better construction and better fans rated for longer hours of use (for example, my Enermax PSU has ball-bearing fans rated for 100,000 hours, while my Allied unit has a sleeve-bearing fan rated for 50,000 hours).  But as long as you look at their power ratings carefully, you can get a decent PSU for pretty cheap... though there's still a threshold below which I wouldn't go, where things do start to get really dodgy and you can actually get a PSU that physically falls apart in a slight breeze.  I actually meant for this Allied PSU to be temporary and it probably still will be, but I've been pleased at how well it's done so far.  I'd still probably recommend spending more for something like an Antec if you can afford it, just because then you don't even really need to worry about looking at the specs, you can pretty much assume they're good.