[mythtv-users] Questions about remote frontend...

Calvin Gorriaran calvin at houstonns.com
Fri Jul 11 14:21:19 EDT 2003

See comments below...

On Fri, Jul 11, 2003 at 11:16:12AM -0700, Ray Olszewski wrote:
> At 12:28 PM 7/11/2003 -0500, Calvin Gorriaran wrote:
> >
> >Last night I setup my remote frontend. I figured that a 933mhz P3 w/ 768mb
> >ram would be plenty
> >enough. I was getting a lot of jitters and CPU usage was up to 70%. This
> >is running across 100mbit
> >ethernet connection and Xv is working. Running Redhat 9.0 w/ kernel 2.4.21
> >and latest CVS of mythtv.
> >Any suggestions on what I could do to locate the bottleneck?
>
> This CPU usage certainly seems very high, even for what by today's
> standards is a low-grade frontend. Here are some thoughts.
>
> 1. If you can (if your X setup permits, that is), switch to a different
> desktop, so the Myth display is not actually visible at all (But playback
> is still running). See if that reduces CPU use dramatically. If it does,
> you have an XV problem of some sort (no matter what you think told you that
> "Xv is working").

I will try this. Before I installed the latest Nvidia drivers I was getting an error saying that XV
was not enabled. It was also even slower than it is now.

> 2. Also check what actual processes are using CPU, and what the split is
> between kernel and user processes. This will help you (or if not you, us)
> spot whether the problem is in Myth or X.

Both Myth and X are high. I will confirm what % they are when I get home.

> 3. What encoding are you using? What capture size (HxV)? NTSC or PAL?

I am only displaying to my monitor. I live in the US so my recording source is NTSC.

> 4. What are "jitters"? Is it different from "choppy" (someone else's
> problem yesteday, which I read to mean there are skipped frames)? I think
> of "jitters" as meaning that the image is somehow bouncy, as though the
> camera were not being held steady. But you may mean something different ...
> we really need to agree on some terminology for describing video problems
> (I am too inexpert to make suggestions, but perhaps someone else on the
> list is sufficiently knowledgeable to help here?).

The picture and the sound is choppy. I guess choppy is a better word for it.

> 5. What NIC are you using? This is a longshot, but I seem tor ecall that
> some NIC drivers (e.g., rtl8139) make fairly large demands on CPU (in
> contrast to, say, tulip or the various 3c* drivers).

I am using a 3com 3C905b

> 6. Is *anything* else actually displaying on the screen besides the Myth
> playback? If yes, might it be causing context switches that burn CPU?

Just myth running in KDE. I even have tried running in a small window to see if that helps.

> Aside from that, if you post a followup, please include the usual details
> about your hardware and X.

Nvidia Geforce2 32mb
X is using latest Nvidia driver