[mythtv-users] newbie UK user

Mark Edwards irish at irishmark.co.uk
Tue Jul 15 01:25:03 EDT 2003

> Hello all,
>
> I appologise if this question has been answered before on the list, I
> have checked the list archives to no avail.
>
> I live in the UK and have an ntl cable tv subscription. This comes with
> the standard cheapo pace cable decoder box. Currently we have a tivo
> which controls the ntl box through the scart lead. Unfortunatly we are
> about to lose the tivo as a housemate is moving out and taking it with
> him. We are looking at mythtv as a perfect replacement. However, we are
> worried that it will not be able change the channel on the ntl box as
> the tivo does. I presume we need some kind of ir blaster device that
> points directly at the ntl cable box. Is this so? I have limited
> experience in this area (however I have been using Linux for a while and
> should be able to install mythtv without too many complications ;-) )
>
> If there are any UK HOWTO guides or links on the internet I should be
> aware of they would be greatfully received.

I have an NTL UK box and use the Actisys 200L serial port dongle.
it kinda works, but there are some timing issues, so I have to remove and
reload the driver a few times on start-up.
The 'remotes' directory that comes with Lirc has a pace DI4001n file that
works with my box, which is a DI410
>From what I read it may be better to make the 'improved home-brew receiver'
but I haven't tried it, apparently the range is better too, I get just over
a meter range with mine, I also had to take the cover off it because it
receives and points in the same direction, whereas I want receiving and
transmitting to work in roughly opposite directions.

Oh also, with xmltv you need to tell mythfilldb to use manual and run xmltv
separately, but it works fine.

Otherwise just follow the rest of the docs

Mark.