[mythtv-users] Telly

Ray Olszewski ray at comarre.com
Wed Jul 16 10:29:43 EDT 2003

Josept -- I can't tell from what you wrote if you and I are disagreeing or
not. Mostly, we are not (on the details, I mean), but here is where I am
confused:

At 12:01 PM 7/16/2003 -0400, Joseph A. Caputo wrote:
[...]
>...recording is done 'off-line', in such a way as can be
>handled by a Via C3 processor.

What does "off-line" mean in this context?

Are you saying that the video is initially recorded, uncompressed, to a
scratch file, then encoded at less than real-time after recording is
completed? Honestly, I find it hard to believe that they are taking this
approach with only 80 GB of hard-disk space in the standard box. (If I just
did the math right, uncompressed captures, at 320x240x16-bit-color-NTSC
take about 17 GB/hour ... not physically impossible with an 80 GB drive in
the system, but not really practical for a consumer product either.

Or are you saying that a Via C3 can handle software encoding (at some
plausible image size and color depth) if it is not simultaneously
displaying to the screen?

Or are you saying something else?

How they are doing timed recording (not recording, or lack thereof, of live
TV) seems to me the key to deducing what hardware is involved. I can't tell
myself a believable story for how they are doing timed recording with this
hardware if it does not include a hardware encoder ... but perhaps I'm
overlooking some plausible setup.