[mythtv-users] ALSA Question from Newbie

Lonny Selinger lonny at bangtherockstogether.net
Wed Jul 16 14:25:00 EDT 2003

> Hi.

Hello :)

> When I go to the site, I am able to find the correct kernel version
> (2.4.20-18.9) but I am unsure about the module version (I think that
> is what
> it is referred to).  It is the part of the file name with the i386,
> i586, i685, etc.

The i386, i586 etc basically refer to what optimizations were compiled
into the module you are trying to install. Certain chips can handle
different instructions better (natively) but to take advantage of
these you have to enable options or set options for the architecture
you are compiling on.  Thats the long story, short story is i386 *was*
usually the safest bet for installing becasue nothing has been tuned
at all. If that one doesn't work I'm guessing you may have other
issues.

Just as a reference, you can check out the Kernel recomended
suggestions for what chip matches with what ix86 (rule of thumb i386 =
older CPU's, i586 = Pentium Class machines i686 = newer/next gen)

> Is there a way to uninstall one of these download rpms and install
> another one?

to remove an rpm ... its best to verify its actual name (to be safe):
try running: rpm -qa | grep -i alsa
This should spit out the name of the specific alsa rpm you installed.
Then to remove it: rpm -e <name of RPM to remove>

> If this does not make any sense, let me know.  Thanks.

M<akes sense so far :) ... just need t figure out why your having
issues installing ;)

--
Lonny