[mythtv-users] Problems with installing apt [off topic?]

Jeff Williams JeffW at rockstargames.com
Wed Jul 16 18:19:17 EDT 2003

Probably is off-topic, but as I had the same problem when installing the MythTV suite, not as off-topic as it sounds.

Basically apt-get doesn't like duplicate versions of packages on your system because part of its job is to keep you updated and it can't do that properly if you've got old stuff lying around that you want to keep; it doesn't know what to do with it.  So either you need to clean that stuff up or you need to tell it you want to keep it with the instructions it's giving you.

In most cases there's no reason why you'd want to keep both an old and a new version of a package (especially on a myth box), so you'll probably just want to delete the old packages.

Do this command from a bash prompt:

rpm -qa|sort

Go through the list and any packages you see duplicated with different version numbers, remove the old one with

rpm -e packagename

where packagename is exactly what's listed in your rpm list, including version #.  Easiest just to copy and paste directly from the list.

It'll take you a while to do this and there may be a faster way that somebody can detail out for you but I did it all manually on my system (most of the old packages will probably not be listed in any graphical tool that you have on your system - they weren't on my Red Hat system).  Afterwards, you can run apt-get update to get yourself up to date.