[mythtv-users] Mobo [off topic]

Aran Cox spin at avalon.net
Thu Jul 17 16:44:53 EDT 2003

I bought an epox-8rda+ to run MythTV on.  I wrestled with the BIOS,
compiling kernels (with ALSA, lm_sensors2, etc.), built-in sound, the
on-board ethernet, and just about everything else.  The Asus you mention
might be better, if you get the deluxe model with the 3com NIC.  The new
lm_sensors that works with nforce2 motherboards requires changes to i2c
which are incompatible with bttv driver (and others), BTW.

I think you'd probably be better off with a KT400 solution.  You
probably can get everything work with the Asus, but you will likely
spend some time messing with things to make it happen.  I have
everything working except the extra USB ports and the Firewire ports are
untested on my Epox so it can be done.  I have no experience with KT400
motherboards though, so take that recommendation with a grain of salt.

My guess is the next wave of distributions will likely have most of this
ironed out.  (Probably no support for the built-in ethernet on the
nforce2, but it will likely include AGP, Firewire, USB, etc. in a
working state.)  But that's just a guess.

Good luck..