[mythtv-users] MythTV in Gentoo portage.

Max Kalika max+lists.mythtv.users at lsit.ucsb.edu
Thu Jul 17 23:15:39 EDT 2003

Quoting Isaac Richards <ijr at po.cwru.edu>:

>> Oh hey, I didn't notice things changed recently.
>
> They haven't changed ever =)  I just removed the text from configure
> --help  because it confused people.

Guilty of being confused! :-)

>>   --extra-cflags="${CFLAGS}"
>>
>> and still changing pentiumpro to your configured cpu in settings.pro?
>
> There's really absolutely no need to do that (or modify settings.pro),
> unless  you're running on a cpu that's incompatible with the pentiumpro
> setting.   Most of the time consuming code, either encoding or decoding
> video, is  optimized with handwritten mmx in either libavcodec, or the
> rtjpeg codec.

So the compiler cpu optimizations won't do anything?  Interesting.  Would
it make sense to do the latter anyway to catch the C3 and K6 users?

>> Sorry for the noise.  Just wanted to confirm that the dependancy on
>> a52dec and the whole --enable-a52bin stuff can be blown away too.  Is
>> this correct?
>
> Yup.  Never was a dependency, not even used by anything.

Ok, all these changes have been made to my local tree.  I'll push them out
to official portage (hopefully) this week.

---max kalika
--max at lsit.ucsb.edu
-lsit systems administrator