[mythtv-users] Notebook hard drives

Dane Kantner webmaster at cmtweb.com
Fri Jul 18 18:16:13 EDT 2003

> I just bought a new drive for my desktop, and I still have over $300 in
> other parts to buy for my Myth box... adding another $60 to that price

How are you spending $300 and still don't have everything?  (you can find a
barebones system, with motherboard+case for ~50-150, an athlon xp for 50,
ddr mem for 40)... By my tally, thats somewhere between 140 and 200, without
hard drive or capture card.  you can get capture cards from 30-50, bringing
the tally to 170-250.  You might need a scan convertor, which can be gotten
for $40.  Thats $200-300.  But, you talk like you already have a box and
don't need all of those things.  For $80-100 you can have a snazzy huge hard
drive.

More over, if you *are* spending $200 on a new system, why skimp out and use
small/old hard drives?

-d