[mythtv-users] QTDIR on Mandrake 9.1

Jeff Monks mythtv at skunkeye.com
Sun Jul 20 02:38:45 EDT 2003

On Sat, 19 Jul 2003, Jonathan wrote:

> I am new to linux but finally found a distro that I could get up and
> running (Mandrake 9.1/KDE).  On setting paths for QTDIR and PATH, I
> followed the instructions in HOWTO 4.1 but checking them with the "set"
> command shows that QTDIR does not exits and PATH has not been modified to
> include /usr/lib/qt3/bin.  Since it says to resolve this before
> continuing I thought I would ask all you.  Any suggestions on how I can
> set these variables even if by another method?

If you're talking about the steps where it tells you to create a
"mythtv.sh" file in /etc/profile.d - you'll have to close the shell window
and open a new one for those changes to take effect.  Did you do that?

You can also manually set them by typing these two commands into the
shell:

  export QTDIR=/usr/lib/qt3
  PATH=$PATH:/usr/lib/qt3/bin

Note that this method is not permanent - if you close the shell, the
settings will be lost.  The /etc/profile.d method is more permanent.

Aside:  I don't mean to sound like a jerk, but if you're really very green
on Linux, you might want to spend a little more time getting familiar with
the operating system before tackling Myth.  It's a pretty complicated
project with lots of dependencies (and depending on your hardware,
possibly alpha-level kernel drivers) that even experienced Linux users
occasionally get stymied by.

I'm not trying to scare you off - if you're patient and not easily
flustered, it could be a good learning experience.  And it might go very
smoothly - it's an amazing piece of software.  But if you only just got
Linux running (and especially if just getting the OS installed was an
ordeal), there's a good chance you might end up tearing out all your hair
and spending the rest of your days cursing Linux.  Don't say nobody
warned you...  <grin>