[mythtv-users] Video card suggestions

Mark Edwards irish at irishmark.co.uk
Tue Jul 22 23:30:06 EDT 2003

> Another question:
> Can anyone suggest a video card suitable for tv-out playback that's less
than $50 and works with a 4x agp slot?
> It sounds like the Radeon 7000s are sorta lame.

Personally I had endless problems with a 7000 and an 8500 radeon getting
tv-out working with XV
it would work with vesa fine, but proper tv-out (with XV etc) wasn't
supported. I know there are ways of getting at least the 7000 working, but
it involves unsupported drivers, recompiling X etc etc. When I finally gave
up and swapped in a geforce3 ti500, it was up in ten minutes working like a
charm, another 10 minutes I had the new Wolfenstein game up and on a myth
menu.
Im gonna stick to nvidia in all my linux machines from now on. From what
I've read here other people seem to recommend nvidia tv-outs for myth too.
I'm sure u can pick up a gf2 with tv-out for next to nothing on e-bay, or
probably even a new 440mx for within your budget. gf2's obviously won't be
AGP4x. I think the 440mx's are tho.
If you are after a 3d comparison you could do worse than check this:
http://www6.tomshardware.com/graphic/20030120/vgacharts-06.html