[mythtv-users] RE:D.vine home-theater atx case

Jeff Williams JeffW at rockstargames.com
Tue Jul 22 18:48:57 EDT 2003

I think you answered your first question with your second.  I don't own one of these expensive cases (yet) but the *only* cases I've found that would really fulfill all my wants/needs (multi-standard mobo support, full ATX PSU support, LCD display, good looks that fit in with my ent. center, etc.) are cases like the d.vine and the like.  All of the cheaper cases I've looked at are deficient in some way - either they don't support a full-size ATX PSU, or they don't support a full-size motherboard, or they're ugly, or poorly constructed, or whatever.  If you do want an LCD I also think it's better to have the case support it natively, since a lot of these HTPC cases put their drive bays behind doors.

Depending on the equipment you already have, it may cost you more in the long run to buy a cheaper case and then buy equipment that'll fit in it, rather than buying a case that you can put standard equipment in that you may just have either lying around or already mounted in a regular PC case.

It's one of those things where I think it's okay to buy a cheaper case and you might be satisfied with one depending on your wants and needs, but if you really want everything exactly right and every possible option, you do need to spend the money.  It's true of regular PC cases as well; most people get by with a cheap case and never know the difference, but those that want/need a more expensive case generally know it and I rarely see someone dissatisfied with their purchase.