[mythtv-users] nforce audio -- no sound from TV

Lennox Reid mythtv at idodat.com
Tue Jul 22 23:05:35 EDT 2003

I have an nforce2 board on the Shuttle SN41G2 system.  I've gotten the
sound working with no problem for most applications.  HOWEVER, I cannot
get any sound out of my Hauppauge WinTV401 (dbx stereo + FM) card.
That same card worked fine running through a soundblaster live card on
my other system.  All sound card output works fine on the nforce system
(e.g: mplayer playing .mpgs and .avis, xmms playing mp3s, system
sounds).  However anything from an external source (line-in, microphone,
CD audio) does not work.  Any ideas on how to fix this?

In order to get around this problem while watching TV, I tried loading
the bttvaudio driver.  However, this did not fix the problem (using the
new /dev/dsp1 and /dev/mixer1 did not cause sound to magically start to
come through.  I DID try adjusting volumes on the new mixer).  On top of
that, it caused the video to delay terribly.  It would play about 45sec
for every minute, and after anything from a few seconds to a minute it
would simply lock up and I would have to kill mythfrontend.

Also, although other applications play mp3's fine, mythfrontend plays
them a bit too fast, and makes it sound odd.

I am NOT running ALSA.  I am using Mandrake 9.1 presently -- with a
rebuilt kernel to change the SCSI_MULTI_LUN option set to allow for the
use of multi-card flash card readers.

Any help on this would be GREATLY appreciated.  This looks like an
incredible piece of software, and I am already addicted to it although I
haven't heard a lick of sound from the TV and the MP3 system sounds
weird (It looks like I can fix this by disabling SPDIF in the nvaudio
module?  I'll try this tonight) Note that the TV image comes up just
fine, so it's not a problem
opening the DSP -- e.g, it doesn't lock up going into TV mode.

Thanks in advance

-lennox