[mythtv-users] Enabling DCT2000 serial port

Ian Forde ian at duckland.org
Wed Jul 23 21:23:33 EDT 2003

On Wed, 2003-07-23 at 17:08, Brian Z wrote:
> No channel change took place, so I fire up minicom while connected to
> the cable box. 9600,8,n,1. I'm presented with an empty buffer so I just
> start smacking keys like an epileptic baboon to see the result. The
> exciting result was absolutely nothing at all, so the next step is to
> call Comcast, my provider. Per your suggestion, I made it known that I
> want to purchase a tivo, and the serial port will be necessary.
> Response: "There are no serial ports on the back of your digital cable
> box." Reply: "Get me someone who knows what the hell they're talking
> about." Response: "My coworker who works with tivos says that doesn't
> work." Reply: "Tell him he needs to stop working with tivos." Response:
> "Please call your local office during regular business hours. <click>"
> Apparently diplomacy isn't my strong point.

Yep - did you call customer service?  You can also tell them that your
cable box isn't working and you'd like them to reset it.  Also, tell
them to pull up a web browser and go to
http://customersupport.tivo.com/tivoknowbase/root/public/tv031120.htm?

> I end my seemingly pointless rant with a simple question: Has anyone actually convinced Comcast to enable
> the serial port? If so, what must I do to make these clowns do their jobs?

I have.  You can also take the box into the office and ask for another
one... repeat until you get a box that works!

	-I

--
                       Ian Forde, RHCE, CCSE, SCNA, SCDME
                       ian at duckland.org / ian at cytben.com