[mythtv-users] Need hardware advice

Michael D. Cencula mythtvuser at cencula.com
Sat Jul 26 04:10:21 EDT 2003

On Friday 25 July 2003 23:53, Ogden Nefix wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Firstly, I am a Linux user but do not know much about hardware. I
> usually ask friends to pick out hardware for me, however, this time I am
> stuck.
>
> I love the idea of Tivo, but don't like the hassle of paying for it and
> want to build a decent box myself, if not better than the Tivo.
>
> I am wondering if it is at all possible to build a very strong,
> excellant quality DVR for under $500. I know the TV Card (I'm thinking
> of the Win TV PVR250) is alone $150. Since the PVR250 comes with
> self-encoding capabilities, then I don't need the latest and greatest
> processor, right? Will an AMD Athlon XP 1.5Ghz be enough or should I go
> above that?

I put together a 2 tuner box at the beginning of the year for about $600.  You
should be able to beat that if you shop around.  Mine uses software encoding,
though.   I think that's the cheaper option.

> Will I also be able to use the remote for the PVR250 to record, play,
> etc, etc on the MythTV Box?

AFAIK, yes.

> Also, out of curiosity, what does Tivo use for MPEG
> compression/playback? Does MythTV offer the same quality, or not?

Tivo uses a hardware mpeg encoder (made by sony, I believe).  Myth should be
able to provide equal or better quality to Tivo.