[mythtv-users] Advice

Aran Cox spin at avalon.net
Tue Jul 29 15:46:48 EDT 2003

On Mon, 2003-07-28 at 22:56, Dane Kantner wrote:
> > > 1.  The cheapest tv-out solution I could find would be the chaintech gf2
> > > 440mx for around 50$ from newegg.  which i've heard mentioned here a few
> > > times. is this card going to produce a decent tv-out signal? and is it
> > > naturally supported by xv?
> >
> > All recent Nvidia cards give you good TV-out.
> >
> Also, don't discount a scan convertor.  I got one on ebay for $30-40.  Its
> marvelous.  Gives me total control over scaling and overscan--no need to
> fuss with drivers.  It has on screen display for configuration of all of the
> options--very simple to get right.  Also, the quality of a good scan
> converter is most likely better than the quality of the average video card
> TV-out.  For MythTV, I'm not sure how much this matters (as its made to show
> on a TV anyway)--however, you might like it better for seeing smaller text.
> -dane

I bought an AverKey Lite and two other AverKey scan converters of the
same model. (Sorry, I'm forgetting which.)  I found the output of both
models to be disgusting.  The TV-Out on the GeForce4 Ti4200 or GeForce2
GTS cards I tried to superior in every way.

Ideally you'd buy a converter and a card with TV-out from someplace that
accepts returns readily, and then you could compare yourself.  I'm stuck
with Best Buy myself (it being the only real computer store within easy
driving distance) and they didn't sell scan converters.  In fact, in
typical Best Buy fashion, when they don't know something they just lie.
The sales guy told me that there was no such thing as a scan converter.
(But I'm just ranting now.)

Aran

PS: I like the output from my GeForce cards, they're not simply better
than the scan converters I had, they're actually quite good.