[mythtv-users] Re: Savage IX card...

Omer Shenker mail at omershenker.net
Tue Jul 29 23:38:27 EDT 2003

On Tue, 29 Jul 2003 22:04:18 -0400 Steven Sartorius wrote:
> Anybody know if a (and I'm quoting from the E-bay
> description) "Savage IX
> chipset 8MB AGP Video Card w/ TV-Out " card will work in
> MythTV?  They're
> going for $5.99 on E-bay....

Steve,

It will work, BUT:

1) Last time I checked, XF86 doesn't support the XVideo extension on that
card, which means video playback will take _much_ more CPU than it should.

2) It only supports AGP 1x/2x. Most modern motherboards don't support
anything older than 4x. Check the manual for yours.

So if you have a motherboard that will work with that card, you won't have
enough processing power to use it. If you do have enough processing power,
your motherboard won't support the card. Thus, it's not a great value for
MythTV users, even for pennies. :)

If you're looking for cheap, fast, and compatible, I'd recommend an old
NVidia card, but be sure to check driver support carefully for both the XF86
open source nv drivers and for nvtv, the program you'll need to actually use
the TV out. It works fine for me and I'm not depending on experimental or
closed source kernel code.

--
Omer Shenker                          http://omershenker.net/