[mythtv-users] Basic requirements (hardware)

Pierre-Olivier Bouchard petecool at vl.videotron.ca
Mon Jun 2 01:57:48 EDT 2003

Ray Olszewski wrote:

> Interesting. So do you think my considerably higher numbers (even
> allowing for the CPU difference, I think) indicate some sort of
> configuration error? If so ... any thoughts on the candidate? Or are
> Celerons really that mush worse than Athlons? Or is Myth optimized for
> Athlons in some subtle way?

I don't think Myth is optimized for Athlons, only the 1.7Ghz Celeron is
a (relatively) crappy CPU for it's price and time - it's lack of cache
is killing it, a P3-based 1.3Ghz Celeron can mostly keep up with it, as
does a Duron 1.3Ghz.

The 1.7Ghz Celeron is not very efficient, that's all... Nearly as bad as
when the L2-cache-less celerons 266 and 300 Mhz got out - and those were
bad!

Pete