[mythtv-users] Re:Sell mythtv "set-top" boxes

Robert Kulagowski rkulagowski at thrupoint.net
Mon Jun 2 10:38:17 EDT 2003

If you're going to _sell_ systems, you have to realize that you have
two types of audience:

1)  hackers / enthusiasts, who want to use the MythTV software
2)  consumers, who expect it to just "work".

As a hacker, how much are you really willing to pay?  Lets say that
I, Robert Kulagowski, want to sell Pundit-based systems.  I say,
"Guys, here's the hardware list, and oh, by the way, I'll sell you a
decent system that's been burned in, put together and ready to ship.
It costs x% more than the cost of the equipment."

Assume that x% is "low", compared to the retail world, and I charge
25% to cover costs, time, shipping, stock, etc.  Are you still going
to buy it, or are you going to say, "screw that, I already know the
hardware list, and I'm going to put it together myself."

Costs:  (these are retail; from the dealer price we saw for the
Pundit @ $165 there's < 10% margin on the hardware.)
Asus Pundit: $180
DVD drive: $25
512MB RAM: $45
P4 2.4Ghz: $89 (for Celeron core), $154 for standard 2.4Ghz core
Hauppauge 401 (btaudio): $80
80 GB hard drive: $70

OK, we're at close to $500 ($450 if we use the "dealer" costs and
assume free shipping and no tax) already, more if you use the
standard 2.4Ghz core.  Throw in shipping and overhead costs and now
we're at $635 for the Celeron based 2.4 machine.

Still going to buy it?  If you are, email me and I'll give you my
address so you can send the check. :)  Or are you going to say, "I
don't want a 2.4, I want a 1.8Ghz machine.  And I don't want a 80GB
drive, I want a 250GB drive.  And I don't want a Hauppauge 401, I
want a PVR-250.  And I think he's trying to make a _profit_, the
bastard!".  So there goes the "ready to ship", because it'll take 3-4
days for parts to arrive from the wholesaler.

Also, add in IR receiver for remote control, IR blaster for channel
changing, keyboard, mouse, etc...

Now, lets look at the consumer side.  Assuming that someone is going
to buy it, sight unseen, then you're going to need to be worried
about two things:
1)  XMLTV / Zap2It
2)  General hand-holding support

The first one worries me more than the second.