[mythtv-users] Sell mythtv "set-top" boxes

Graham Dunn gdunn at inscriber.com
Mon Jun 2 16:15:20 EDT 2003

On Mon, Jun 02, 2003 at 10:04:56AM -0700, Ray Olszewski wrote:

> Perhaps someone who knows Makdrake or Red Hat or [fill in the blank] well
> can comment on whether this approach is more feasible using a different
> distro than Debian.

I've used gentoo 1.4 with some of the instructions from
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/archive/MythTV_C2/Dev_F10/Ive_got_MythTV_-_CVS_up_and_running._Im_ready_to_contribute_features!_P54322-2

(I started with a stage three image)

I used the instructions to get X / alsa / bttv drivers installed and
up and running, then one of the mythtv-cvs ebuild packages in the
mailing list archive (search for "cvs ebuild" at
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/perl/mailarc/gforum.cgi?do=search;guest=559938&t=search_engine)

This is the third platform I've built mythtv on (well fourth if you
count debian stable / unstable as two), the other being redhat 9.
Redhat was definetly the "easiest", in terms of getting to the point
of being able to start mythfrontend.

However, changing anything was a nightmare (adding modules, trying to
get cvs running).

To be honest, I'd recommend you go ahead and install it on whatever
platform you want, because you're probably going to scrub the install
and start again at some point anyways. It gets a lot easier the third
and fourth times you install :]

Graham