[mythtv-users] Confirm TV-Out with Xv extension on Matrix G400 Dual Head

Rob Comstock mythtv at westcoastlinux.com
Tue Jun 3 09:31:34 EDT 2003

I am in the process of building a Myth box. I have the AverMedia
card working ok and can run xawtv. I would like to get a S-Video
signal to my TV and am considering either a Matrox G400 dual
head or a nVidia card of some flavor. By looking at these archives
it appears that both work but there are some reports of trouble with
the Matrix card. Looks like a FB device has to be used that seems
to merge the two heads so the TV out is sort of a copy of the 1st
head display in order to get Xv onto TV-Out. Is this true and if so
has anyone implemented this strategy on this card?

There are also reports that the video quality of the Matrox card is
the best that you can get. Has anyone seen direct comparisons
between this and an nVidia with TV-Out card? Incrementally
better picture and the open source nature of the Matrox solution
has appeal to me -- but only if I stand a chance of getting it to work.

Thanks in Advance!

Rob