[mythtv-users] Has anybody put together a three tuner system ?

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Tue Jun 3 14:26:50 EDT 2003

cmisip wrote:
> My current master (and only backend) has its /mnt/store partition
> exported via nfs.  I thought it was necessary until I found out that
> mythfrontend from another machine could access the videos on the master
> backend system without the nfs partition being exported.

Correct.

> ... You're saying
> then that If I want the recordings available all the time even if the
> slaves are not running, I need to maintain this setup and have the slave
> write to the master's exported nfs partition?

If a slave writes to a directory that is not shared with the
master and the slave backend process is not running, the
frontend cannot play the files from the slave. Robert's feature
allows the master to treat any file it finds in the master
backend dir as being it's own even if the 'recorded' table says
it belong to a slave. Therefore, you can record from the slave
to the NFS partition then later watch the recording even if the
slave is not running.

If you use a local disk on the slave, you simply need to run
the backend when you want to watch those recordings.

>  I have another question,
> is there an on screen warning that notifies me that the slave backend is
> recording If I decide to exit and shutdown?

Realize that this is the backend and not the frontend so when
it comes time to shutdown the backend, you are at the command
line and not the GUI. I look at top or ps to make sure there
isn't a backend using CPU. When the slave 'has left the building'
(very funny, Isaac), the schedule would be recalculated.

--  bjm