[mythtv-users] Kworld TV card and 878 chipset questions

Ben Bucksch linux.news at bucksch.org
Thu Jun 5 06:47:42 EDT 2003

This is offtopic, but ....

Matt wrote:

> I emailed the company and they said the part # is KW-TV878RF-PRO and
> that it uses the "conexant 878A" chip.  Is this this the same
> as/compatible with the bt878?
> You think this would work?  Anybody using one of these?

As Pierre-Oliver said, more interesting than the video capture chip is
the tuner. conexant 878A = bt878a, so these are supported, but the tuner
may not be, not sure about the audio.

Check the file Documentation/video4linux/bttv/CARDLIST in the Linux
kernel source. There you'll have a list of concrete models which are
known to work. If the vendor didn't change the parts without renaming it
product. I can't see any Kworld models there. But you'll also find a
list of tuner models (see above) there.

Also search the web. '"product name" Linux' is a good Google query.

Your safest best is to just ask the vendor, if the card is supported
under Linux. Buy it only, if they say (eh, write) yes. Then you have
legal protection.