[mythtv-users] AIW 8500DV

ElectricianDrew at aol.com ElectricianDrew at aol.com
Thu Jun 5 08:43:25 EDT 2003

Hello all,
I know this question has been asked a million times, but I've searched the
mailing list archives and can't find the answer for my specific hardware.

I am planning on using an ATI All-in-wonder 8500DV with MythTV (kinda waiting
for 0.9) on Mandrake 9.1. I don't need TV-out but it would be nice. The
latest GATOS drivers ( <A HREF="http://gatos.sf.net">http://gatos.sf.net</A> ) can capture video, show it on the
screen, output to TV and work as the video card as well ( <A HREF="http://gatos.sourceforge.net/supported_cards.php">
http://gatos.sourceforge.net/supported_cards.php</A> ) . Why won't this work in MythTV? It's supposedly
working completely with the GATOS tv viewer / capture application. The GATOS
drivers support video4linux.

Maybe I need to use composite video in, instead of the tuner?  I can use an
external tuner hooked up to the card in this way if that's all that works.

I've seen hints that the AIW 8500 is useable in MythTV, but that other AIW's
have trouble. Perhaps the 8500 DV (note the DV) works differently?

If anyone has had any success with this specific card then I'd love to hear
how it's done. I'm familiar with Linux and can edit config files and compile
drivers or whatever but I've never done anything huge like recompiling the
kernel so if that kind of stuff needs to be done, you'll have to walk me through it
:-)
If I could at least get capture working in MythTV then that would be OK, but
I'd much rather get capture and video output (at least to a monitor) if
possible. Again, if it works in the Gatos AVview program, why won't it work in
MythTV?

I also noticed that ATI themselves also puts out an RPM package of drivers
for this card ( <A HREF="http://support.ati.com/">http://support.ati.com/</A> ). Anyone have any luck with these?

Sorry for the long message but I had lots of questions.

Thanks,