[mythtv-users] requirements?

Dane Kantner webmaster at cmtweb.com
Thu Jun 5 12:27:13 EDT 2003

> I am still debating whether to buy a WIN-GO for $50 or a PVR-250 for $99

I was debating the same thing yesterday....   I think even though I'm
getting a fast CPU, I'd rather just spend another $50 on a hardware based
card (and not have to worry about other uses of my linux box being
interfered with or vice versa --web server stuff particularly?).  More over,
I could always expand the system later ...

Theres only one small quirk to my decision making that I'm still not sure
of... . there seems to be a lot of discussion of problems w/ PVR 250... I'm
thinking that there are two reasons for this 1) people don't rush to
complain about things that work, and 2) its newly supported...  Is it the
general consensus that this is a good card, a good card once you get the
caveats worked out, or just troublesome?  I'd guess that there wouldn't be
so many people using it if it were "bad" ... ?

The only thing that might sway me on the side of a software-based card is
finding a good surround sound card.  are there any good ones? (i know there
*are* some...but what are people's experiences with them?)... Do they work
well in Linux, and is a SBLive the likely paired sound card?  I looked in
the hardware database and it doesn't seem like a lot of people are
concerning themselves over surround sound... many aren't even doing stereo
apparently?

-Dane

BTW, i really like the fairly new "comments" section on the database... it
does no good to rate a system good or bad without explaining what you think
works...everyone go do it if you haven't ;)