[mythtv-users] mythbackend will only run as root

Ray Olszewski ray at comarre.com
Thu Jun 5 19:37:39 EDT 2003

At 07:49 PM 6/5/2003 -0500, James S. White wrote:
>What do I have to do to get mythbackend to be able to run out of the init
>script? If I run mythtv (by itsefl or from  mythfrontend) it crashes
>mythbackend unless it was started as root. I have added mythtv to the
>audio and video groups and chmoded 666 /dev/(audio|video|dsp|mixer)

I saw something quite similar here today. I started up a Myth box (combined
frontend/backend), logged in asn mythtv, and started mythfrontend. Trying
to watch "live" TV caused mythbackend to die and mythfrontend to appear to
hang (though I could kill it with a ^C in the xterm window I started it from).

Several attempts to restart mythbackend using the init script all ended the
same way. What finally "fixed" things was some aspect of this sequence:

         /etc/init.d/mythbackend stop
         open an xterm and su
         start mythbackend from the xterm
         start mythfrontend (as mythtv) from another xterm
         do Myth-like things, including watching "live" TV
         from the xterm, exit mythfrontend
         from the xterm, exit mythbackend
         /etc/init.d/mythbackend restart
         start mythfrontend from an xterm

Now everything (well, "live" TV, anyway) works with no trouble.

Never saw any error messages anywhere.

My system is at least similar to yours (it matches in every aspect of yours
that you described). I never tried starting mythfrontend as root, though.

I doubt this recap offers any real hints ... it certainly suggests none to
me ... but I report it in case someone smarter than me is reading this.