[mythtv-users] Re: Going wireless/diskless, and some assorted

Latka latka at speakeasy.net
Fri Jun 6 03:17:23 EDT 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Pete Hartman" <mythtv at elmegil.net>

> At 03:41 PM 6/5/03 -0400, Latka wrote:
> >The problem that I am trying to workaround is that my DSL line comes in
> >through the back of the house (with my main PC in close proximity), and
my
> >DirecTV line comes in through the front (with my TV next to it, and where
> >I'd like my future, small, quiet MythBox to be), which creates a problem
in
> >locating the front and back ends.
>
> My solution to the exact same problem (well, I don't have DTV) is a
> wireless access point (I got a D-Link 713P for $50 after rebate) and a
> wireless bridge (also a D-Link, also $50).  My WAP is in the back of the
> house with the other computers and the DSL line, and my Myth box will just
> plug into the wireless bridge once I move it permanently to the living
room.

> If you have a box with enough PCI slots you could use a normal wireless
PCI
> card as well, but I wanted to minimize cards.

The box I just bought only has one PCI slot (Shuttl SK41G), which will be
eaten up buy a capture card (winfast tv2000xp ). I was planning on doing
something very similar to what you're doing. I found a Siemens Speedstream
wireless fw/nat/router/print server for $40 (damn thing even has a COM port,
so people driving by will be able to change my sat channels), and if I can
configure it to work as bridge, I'll pick up a second one and just use the
onboard eth0 port.

I'd be interested to know what kind of bandwidth you get across that
wireless connection, i.e. enough to stream/capture etc.