[mythtv-users] Slow channel change (only when using numpad)

Gregorio Gervasio Jr. gtgj at pacbell.net
Sat Jun 7 04:33:57 EDT 2003

>>>>> On 07 Jun 2003 01:51:41 -0500, Ben Davis <ben at xsusio.com> said:

b> I don't think this has to do with buffering because the channel changes
b> much faster when using up/down keys, but when I type in a channel number
b> on the keypad, the channel doesn't change until the number "fades" out,
b> so it takes about six seconds from when I hit the second key to when the
b> channel gets changed.

        Really?  Looks to me like the number stays up for two seconds
(fixed?) and then takes 30 frames to fade away (can be modified in osd
theme?) before the channel starts to change, ie. 3 seconds.  I suppose
you could tweak the numbers in the source code if you wanted to.

b> Is this on purpose?  It would make more sense to me to have the channel
b> change within a second after the last key is pressed on the numpad.

        Well, if you want it to have a shorter timeout after the last
key than after preceding keys, it would need to figure out which key
is the "last" key.  I think there was talk some time back about a
patch to change channels as soon as enough digits have been entered to
uniquely identify a channel.  I think someone also had a patch to
change channels as soon as three or four digits were entered
(eg. 0,0,2 for channel 2).

        For now, just hit space/Return/KP_Enter after typing in the
number.
--
Gregorio Gervasio, Jr.
gtgj at pacbell.net