[mythtv-users] Cant load bttv module, ALSA module load problem

Ray Olszewski ray at comarre.com
Sat Jun 7 12:33:44 EDT 2003

Hmmm ... usually when I probe on this, it turns out that just the
mythfrontend process itself is hung, not the underlying machine. If it does
not even respond to pings (Linux kernels are awfully resilient in this
respect), it means a bad kernel-level problem, even if Myth is the
proximate cause. So you might check this detail, trying to ping the Myth
host from the Linux host after it (apparently) hangs.

Your guess about alsa sounds like a good place to start. I don't think
you've said anything about the details of the alsa install beyond that you
"followed the instructions on the alsa site" and that "all the builds and
make installs worked great" ... but then snd.o failed to load properly at
least once. So it's hard to offer specific advice.

If there is an alsa-users list associated with the alsa site, it might be
the better place to describe the details ... but to get help, you''re going
to need to tell *someone* the details. For example:

1. What modules does lsmod report as installed just before you start
mythfrontend?

2. Does sound work properly to playback using some other Linux app (mpg123
or xmms, for example)?

3. Does sound work properly to record using some other Linux app that uses
the sound card's line input (gramofile, for example)?

4. Does some other video capture application (vcr/avifile, avicap,
mencoder, or ffmpeg, for example) work?

5. Run "top" over an ssh session where the window will stay open even if
the session terminates (putty on Windows does this, for example). After the
system dies, did the last update of "top" reveal anything instructive?

The alsa experts can probably suggest better questions, but this is at
least a place to start.

Oh ... let me ask one long-shot question: do you have DMA enabled on the
hard drive that Myth is using for the "live" TV buffer? (You can check this
with "hdparm /dev/hd?", replacing ? with the appropriate drive designator.)
If not, DMA-related errors can make a system unresponsive for a
surprisingly long time (another one I learned the hard way).

[...]