[mythtv-users] myth-backend unable to record w/o mythtv running?

James S. White james at jameswhite.org
Sat Jun 7 19:35:53 EDT 2003

I am having a problem with myhbackend being unable to record a show unless
live tv is already being played. If MythTV is running then mythbackend is
able to record a show. But if the mythtv is not running (only mythfrontend)
then it records a 1120 byte nuv file that shows up as a blank green screen
in the preview window of the "Play Recordings" screen. The following is
from /var/log/mythtv/mythbackend.log:

Starting up as the master server.
Probed: /dev/video - Television
Probed: /dev/video - Composite1
Probed: /dev/video - S-Video
Probed: /dev/video - Composite3
External channel change: /usr/local/bin/changechannel 385
adding: columbia as a player 1
External channel change: /usr/local/bin/changechannel 4
Can't open video device: /dev/video
open video:: Device or resource busy
VIDIOCSAUDIO: Bad file descriptor

the recording on 385 (the one that started while watching tv) recorded fine
the recording on channel 4 could not access the /dev/video.

I switched mytht-backend to run as root and had the same problem. I thought
it might have been a permissions thing again.

Can I not record unless mythtv is running?

James S. White                      GAPS Incorporated
james at gapsinc.com                   Electrical Engineer - Etc.
http://www.jameswhite.org           Caffeine is my anti-drug.