[mythtv-users] MythTV : Little Sleep, Lots Of Reading... I Failed.

Rob Case digitalaz at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 9 07:48:41 EDT 2003

>I assure you, with no reservations, that Jarod Wilson's
>notes are not the authoritative information needed to install
>MythTV. There is no mention in your message of following the
>documentation that is provided with MythTV. Therefore, I'm not
>surprised that you had problems.
The "official" documentation is useless for RH9 users. It is also very
lacking. Several steps are assumed which makes this guide not newbie
friendly. I cannot give specifics because I have not used it since last
week.

>If you do follow the documentation and find that the information
>is incomplete, confusing, or wrong, please send your suggestions
>so the the documentation needed for all MythTV users can be
>improved.
Unfortunately I have moved onto spcefic HOWTO's for my setup. Plus if I knew
what was missing or needed I wouldn't need the guide in the first place :)

>Had you tested and verified that the ivtv driver is installed
>correctly and functioning properly?
Yes... I have had it working

>The common test is to "cat /dev/video > test.mpg" then play
>the file with an MPEG player. You should see and hear the
>test recording correctly before going on to setup MythTV.
Yes.

>When you do run "setup" for MythTV, one common problem is
>that in part 2 of setup, you need to make sure you choose
>Card type: "Hardware MPEG Encoder card".
Doesn't sound familiar. Will check that next time I install.

>http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-18.html#ss18.11
Been there... the "official" guide is no where near "comprehensive".

>A PVR-250 needs the ivtv driver, not bttv.
I am aware just pointing out my hiccups. Getting ivtv to work was an issue
as well.

>There are two independent functions for /dev/dsp ; writing
>to create digitized data from an analog input and reading
>to convert digital data and send an analog signal to your
>speakers.
>
>A PVR-250 digitizes the audio and multiplexes the audio in
>the stream read from /dev/video. Therefore, your mythbackend
>does not need to be able to write to /dev/dsp to record audio.
>However, your mythfrontend does need to read from /dev/dsp to
>hear the sound on playback. If you have the Master and PCM
>unmuted and the volume up and can hear a test file with, say:
>
>	aplay /usr/share/sounds/KDE_Startup.wav
>
>then you should be all set.

aplay fails. because installing the ALSA package broke my sound.

I am going to make another attempt with RH9 since Jarod is still updating
the document and making an effort...

Thank you all for the replies.