[mythtv-users] Re: MythTV : Little Sleep, Lots Of Reading...I Failed.

Tako Schotanus quintesse at palacio-cristal.com
Mon Jun 9 18:35:09 EDT 2003

Dont' forget you own comments Isaac ;-)

<quote>

> System is a VIA M-10000 running RedHat 9, all Myth stuff comes from
> yesterday's CVS (but the problem was the same with 0.8, in fact it was
> the reason to try the CVS version).

The kernel driver for the audio on those boards is broken.  You need to
use latest ALSA, with the 'dxs_support=3' option when you load the
snd-via82xx module, to get things to work properly.

</quote>

So sometimes it *is* necessary.

Only teasing Isaac :-)

I agree with you  that having one good document that explains everything
to everybody is what we should aim for, but you know yourself that
posting patches to the docs won't necessarily mean that they will be
changed the next hour or so, while at the same moment complete tribes of
people are trying out the software and having lots of problems. And I
for myself can vouch for the problems I have encountered because of
wrong or unclear documentation. So these pages by third parties are
necessary to get everything to work. The help of people on this lists
notwithstanding I would not have been able to get MythTV to the point it
is now (still no Live TV though ;-) without the help of several such pages.

I also agree that these pages themselves will have problems, but in the
end the most important thing is to have options to try out when things
just don't want to work.

My 2c.

Cheers,
 -Tako