[mythtv-users] DirecTV (RS232-to-RJ11 cable) -- I think I figured out my problem!

John Klimek jmk396 at psu.edu
Mon Jun 9 17:50:23 EDT 2003

I built myself a DB9-to-RJ11 cable and have been having some problems.

On the BACK of my DB9 connector, it appears to last the pin numbers as
follows:

5 4 3 2 1
 9 8 7 6

However, when I searched for RS232 pin assignment, I found the following:

1 2 3 4 5
 6 7 8 9

However, my cable SOMEWHAT worked.  It was able to change channels, but it
didn't receive a "Success" signal after sending the command.

I rewired my cable (using incorrect (?)) using a 50" (might be longer)
cable, and I'm getting very weird results:

1)  When plugged into one computer, the satellite receiver kept turning on
and off every few seconds.
2)  When plugged into the other (Win XP, using DTVCON), it somewhat worked.
It would change channels, but sometimes it would change to the wrong channel
(is my cable too long?)  and I was still unable to receiver a "Success"
response from the satellite.  I got a ton of Buffer errors.

Sorry for the long post.

I'm wondering if a 50" or 75" cable is too long for the cable and is my
wiring incorrect?

I'm using a continuity tester to make sure the signal is passing through the
cable, so I know that isn't the problem.

Thanks for any help.  After I get my cable working complete, I'm going to
write a very detailed HOW-TO with pictures to help out anybody else who
might be having problems.