[mythtv-users] Re: RHL9 official docs (was Little Sleep...)

Rob Case digitalaz at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 9 21:00:32 EDT 2003

Ok I am not sure why Jarod's efforts are being questioned.

RH9/PVR250 questions surface daily. The usual response is to point the
person to the "official" HOWTO which covers RH8 but not NEARLY as in depth
as Jarod's RH9 HOWTO. The other solution I have seen people suggesting is a
RH9 thread in this discussion list which is brief and not maintained.

Jarod is actively working on this and posting updates several times daily.
Who is this hurting? Why the big stink? I for one would have dumped MythTV
and just stuck with my TiVO if I didn't get infected by Jarod's enthusiasm
and encouraging words. He not only is working on this HOWTO but speaking
with several people on a daily basis on a personal level to help achieve a
complete install. The "official" solution is to point someone to a link.
Quite frankly he is doing a great thing for the MythTV project.

This project gained major exposure from the wired article (it's why I came)
and with this was an influx of linux geeks, newbies, and wanna-be's. So with
this new crowd you are going to see alot of different distro's and new
installs. The HOWTO does not cover most new distros. So instead of "newbies"
coming here and becoming discourage by documentation that is not complete
and not frequently updated they find people in this list willing and able to
update Distro specific HOWTOs.

I haven't publically criticized the "official" HOWTO although I find it
useless for my situation and out of date. I just searched out other
alternatives. Don't attack Jarod for working on something the "official"
HOWTO lacks.. If  you feel the information should be included then suggest
this to him don't publically denounce his efforts and accuse him of having
hidden motives.

I for one applaud his efforts and he is greatly appreciated!

Thank you!