[mythtv-users] Has anybody put together a three tuner system

Brian Foddy bfoddy at visi.com
Tue Jun 10 17:44:40 EDT 2003

On my dual P2-450,
Certainly its a tough stretch.  I run 3 tuners (2 401's and a PVR250)
but I don't have the CPU to do everything and watch a 4th show
without significant skips.  Recording 3 with no watching
however is suprisingly useable.   I use 640x240
resolution with rtjpeg @200 settings.  I don't encode audio, and I can't
deinterlace at all on a P2 machine.  I have 3 HDs in the system (2 80MB
SCSI and an IDE, all 3 in an Linear Raid config, most of the space is
on 1 18GB  10k drive).

In summary tho, by adding a 2nd cpu to a system you go a long
way towards it.  I haven't tried putting all this in a
dual P3-1000 machine I also have, its doing other work.  But
the added CPU power may make a lot of difference.

Question:  Any thoughts on how I can see if its PCI bandwidth,
HD limits, or CPU?  When my machine starts skipping bad, the
CPU load actually goes down.  Is that because the frame buffers
are full and and new ones are skipped, or possibly PCI or HD
limitations.  The answer may influence how I upgrade my system
to a permanent solution.

Brian