[MythTV-Users] Interest Only: VMware 4 Myth Performance

Paul Catchpole admin at aphrodit.homeunix.net
Wed Jun 11 18:07:01 EDT 2003

For your interest,

MythVideo (Current CVS) playing the X-Men-2 Mpeg trailer, full screen (1150
by something) in Vmware 4 on Windows XP SP1 on a 2x 1700MP Athlon Box with
512mb Ram, 256mb allocated to Gentoo Linux compiled with optimisations for
Athlon (non-smp).

Processor Usage 78% User, 21% System
Mplayer uses approx. Myth Video and Mplayer use around 60Mb of ram when
loaded and playing - this relative to just MythTV (on KDE 3 on X11 4.3)

Bear in mind that there's no XV support. I'm using the kernel compiled-in
for ESS 1371 support (not alsa - won't modprobe?)

It actually plays the trailer very acceptably with no tearing or jitter.
Mplayer sometimes starts up without sound however! (But I have got KDE Sound
loaded)

Useless but possibly interesting? (Maybe for Windows front-end use?)

Paul