[mythtv-users] Recommendations?

Bryan Murphy bryan at terralab.com
Wed Jun 11 12:47:36 EDT 2003

I've tried a few different resolutions and bit rates... form 720x480
down to 320x240.  I've tried high bitrates (80000000 max and peak) to
low bit rates (40000000). Nothing has helped so far.  When a lot of
action is going on on the screen things blur, and the news tickers on
the news channels drive me up a wall.  I've tried running mplayer with a
bunch of post filters on the video stream, but they're only bandaid
solutions and have minimal impact.

My setup is DirecTV --svideo--> PVR 250 --svideo--> TV.  It may very
well have something to do with it being a DirecTV receiver, but so far
nothing I've tried is helping.

I'd try regular broadcast television, but the reception in Chicago is
*TERRIBLE*.  Not a single channel comes in well, so I wouldn't be able
to tell what's being caused by the recorder or what's interference.

Tonight I'm going to put the wintv card in my other machine (which is a
windows machine).  I'll try the latest windows drivers to see what kind
of quality I can get with those.  That should help track the problem
down.  I'll also plug the VCR and/or the DVD player into the card to
find out if it's being caused by the DirecTV unit or not.  I'll have a
better idea what's going on tomorrow, wether it's an artifact of my
setup or the ivtv driver itself.

Bryan