[mythtv-users] RE: mythfrontend setup for around $300 ??

Scott Blomfield ScottB at Cavps.com
Wed Jun 11 16:33:37 EDT 2003

I wasn't aware that the ivtv development crew had fixed the problem of
not being able to have more than one PVR-250/PVR-350 in a system at
once.

Of course, I also couldn't find it on the website either (didn't look
too hard) but I know I've seen it posted to the list on several
occasions that this will not work.

If, in fact, you are able to run two PVR-250/PVR-350s in the same
machine at once, then I stand corrected and apologize for propagating
misinformation.  However, I can't find any info besides testimony that
says that this is the case. =)

Cheers!

Scott

-----Original Message-----
From: James Campbell [mailto:jcampbell at trexenterprises.com]
Sent: Wednesday, June 11, 2003 2:33 PM
To: 'Discussion about mythtv'
Subject: [mythtv-users] RE: mythfrontend setup for around $300 ??

I wasn't aware that Mobo makers had fixed the problem of having two
different speed IDE devices on the same IDE channel.  If, in fact, you
are able to run an ATA100 HD at full speed that is connected to the same
IDE channel as an ATA33/66 Slave drive, then I stand corrected and
appologize for propogating misinformation.  However, I can't find any
info besides testimony that says that this is the case.

Aside from putting my foot in my mouth, let me say that there are still
better options than the Asus Pundit in my opinion.  You don't have to
use the Chaintech microATX board that I recommended.  I'm glad Shawn
Edwards spoke up about his experience with the Chaintech mobo, cause I
was bout to talk my wife into letting me buy it! Haha.
The other options include Asus motherboards as well.  I found the Asus
A7S266-VM  on newegg.com for just $61.  You can add a GForce2 with
tv-out for another $40, prolly cheaper if you find a deal.  So now you
are workin with $100 for a motherboard that's decent and small and
tv-out capabilities.  You add in the $52 case or any case for that
matter, and you are still below the price of the Asus Pundit which sells
for $179 on newegg.com.  My point is that you can have a lot more
control over what hardware gets included.

David Engel, it is my assumption since this case has full size PCI
expansion slots it can handle multiple PVR-250's, but I do not own this
case so I cannot say this for sure.

-James