[mythtv-users] Re: Soundcard Recommendations?

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Wed Jun 11 15:09:56 EDT 2003

On Wednesday, Jun 11, 2003, at 13:50 US/Pacific,
mythtv-users-request at snowman.net wrote:

> Hey guys, probably going to invest in a new sound card
> for the PVR project, old
>
> RH9, Pvr-350, Bose lifestyle surrond sound system. I'm
> currently using a  sb PCI128 and it sounds pretty
> tinny thru speakers, low volume too. That is thru the
> OSS drivers, I'm going to play with the Alsa ones as
> well, see if that helps...
>
> Anyone got any recomendations for something that will
> sound good through the surrond sound?

I've had rather good success with an OEM SB Audigy ($50 at a local
shop), which feeds my Yamaha amp a 5.1 signal via a digital coax
connection (it also does analog out, of course). Some of the more
expensive Audigy cards also have an optical digital audio out, if
that's your thing. The Audigy's are also well supported by both OSS and
ALSA, which is a big bonus (if you ask me :).

The cards I REALLY like, though I've never tried either under Linux,
are the TerraTec DMX 6fire 24/96 and the M-Audio Revolution 7.1...

-jcw