[mythtv-users] ABSOULTE minimum requirements for frontend

Ben Davis ben at xsusio.com
Thu Jun 12 14:29:04 EDT 2003

Hey all,
I'm brainstorming ideas for a good frontend, and I was wondering what
the ABSOLUTE minimum requirements would be to install the frontend
application, assuming I have a good backend server. Basically I'm
wondering how small can I get away with?   Do I really need MySQL just
to run a frontend? Is it possible to use TinyX? Do I need to install the
entire KDE desktop or can I just install the required libraries?

I'm looking at using linuxbios to get a really fast boot-time for my
frontend design, which is my main goal. I'd like to have a frontend up
and running from poweroff in about 5-10 seconds. (linuxbios.org boasts a
3 second boot), so you can see why I wouldn't want to have to load MySQL
or KDE altogether. It would be ideal to be able to use a diskless system
for this. Is that too far fetched?

Any ideas?