[mythtv-users] Sound problems, aplay /dev/dsp doesnt work?

Johnny Stork stork at openenterprise.ca
Thu Jun 12 13:48:04 EDT 2003

Thanks to the quick and accurate suggestions about the AMD K6 issue, I am now closer to getting MythTV running, but sound problems persist.

Sound card is an AWE32 in a 16 bit ISQ slot
.
-----------------------------
modules.conf contains:

alias eth0 tulip
alias char-major-81 bttv
alias sound-slot-0 sb
post-install sound-slot-0 /bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/.aumixrc -L >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
pre-remove sound-slot-0 /bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/.aumixrc -S >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
options sound dmabuf=1
options opl3 io=0x388
alias synth0 awe_wave
post-install awe_wave /bin/sfxload /etc/midi/GU11-ROM.SF2
options sb isapnp=1
alias char-major-195 nvidia

-------------------------------

I muted the line-in since my Hauppaug card has a line going into the line-in on the AWE card.

I can run XMMS and play an MP3 fine and get sound.

I have disabled aRts from the KDE Control Panel.

------------------------------
aplay /dev/dsp returns the following:

[root at localhost root]# aplay /dev/dsp
aplay: main:480: audio open error: No such device

Trying to go to "Watch TV" in Myth frontend bails out with the following:

[root at localhost root]# mythfrontend
connecting to backend server: 127.0.0.1:6543
Changing from None to WatchingLiveTV
ERROR: something is currently using: /dev/dsp
Fix this, then run mythfrontend again
pure virtual method called
Aborted

Running fuser -v /dev/dsp doesnt return anything at all?

Hopefully there is a nice, quick and easy solution like the last one I posted. Once again thanks to everyone that responded so quickly.

Cheers

<hr>

Johnny Stork, B.A.
Calgary, AB