[mythtv-users] [Install Help] -- Freezing on channel change

Randy Patton hrpatton at vt.edu
Thu Jun 12 17:02:22 EDT 2003

Please forgive me if this is a repost.  I had some trouble subscribing.

I've installed MythTV 0.8 on my Debian box (unstable, kernel 2.4.20,
384MB RAM, Pentium 4 1.5, Intel motherboard of uncertain model, onboard
sound, GeForce 4 Ti 4200, two ATI TV Wonder VE cards) successfully
using the Debian packages linked from the MythTV website.

I run backend and frontend successfully, but when I view live TV and
try to change channels, the image freezes and nothing happens.  I can
use my exit key combo (CNTRL-ESC) to escape.

Reading the list archives, I see this behavior can be a result of
database problems, so I went back and de/reinstalled everything again,
carefully following instructions and checking permissions, etc.
Mythfilldatabase runs without errors, and a manual check of the tables
from the MySQL command-line client shows them full of data that looks
correct, at least to my eyes.  Running /etc/cron.daily/mythtv-backend
also gives no errors and seems to update the tables correctly.

I can run xawtv from an xterm without problem, and can change channels
in it normally.

I haven't set up sound yet, as I'm having some trouble with the alsa
packages recognizing my onboard audio correctly.

What might be the problem?

Also, a Linux newbie question:  what /devs are the defaults for the TV
Wonders?  I get video on /dev/video, but which device will be the
second card?  How can I find this out for myself?

Thank you.