[mythtv-users] Re: Soundcard Recommendations?

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Thu Jun 12 17:09:55 EDT 2003

On Thursday, Jun 12, Ian Forde wrote:

> I have an OEM SB Live 5.1 ($35) with a optical digital out, but I've
> never gotten the Optical audio out to work.  I know it's a little
> off-topic, but can you let me know how you got yours working?  (In
> detail!)

Well, I've got an Audigy, but I believe the same ought to hold true...
Here it goes:

For starters, I think you have to use ALSA if you want to use digital
out. It didn't work for me under OSS on a clean install of RHL9 just
now. I got ALSA back up and running a few minutes ago though. I think
the key is that you have to unmute the digital out channels, and turn
up their volumes with alsamixer.

I am using the mini-coax digital out on the back of the card. I don't
have the expansion module, just the OEM card, so it was my only option.
However, there are settings in alsamixer for the optical ports as well,
but I don't have any, so I can't test 'em, but they ought to work...
Just unmute the optical interface(s), turn up the volume, and all
should be well...

-jcw