[mythtv-users] Windows Version?

Jason S jms_temp at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 12 20:51:20 EDT 2003

Kevin,

Yup, there certainly is. SageTV ( http://www.sage.tv )
is the closest to MythTV's PVR, featuring support for
multiple tuners, front/back end architecture, etc.
It's like $70 I believe with no subscription. You have
to use hardware encoder cards though. (PVR250 for
example). It's the coolest PVR, supporting Tivo-like
intelligence (search by artist, figures out what you
like, etc.) among other things. They are also
super-responsive to the user community, the CTO is on
the forums all the time. One downside is you have to
watch their coverage, they don't even cover the entire
US yet but supposedly that will be soon.

SageTV is supposedly going to integrate with myhtpc (
http://www.myhtpc.net ) which is a set-top-box type
program for Windows, with hooks for lots of cool
programs. (slide shows, PVR, music, etc.) Apparently
people have their own PVR solution for myhtpc as well,
so you wouldn't need Sage (although it's obviously a
lot more feature-laden). Myhtpc is an open source
project using XMLTV, it's world wide.

Snapstream ( http://www.snapstream.com ) is a
commercial product which is decent, but doesn't
support multiple tuners. It does support lots of TV
cards. Not front/back end architecture. Has some other
features people like though. $50. EPG is not available
outside the US I believe?

Showshifter ( http://www.showshifter.com ) is another
one that's out there, I don't know much about it
except it's pretty similar to Snapstream. It's $50-65,
no subscription and free upgrades. Unlike Snapstream
though it's more focused on a complete HTPC (home
theater PC) approach, supporting music, pictures, etc.
It's got the most third party add ins as well, they
have their own SDK they released.  Not sure about EPG
support in other countries, but might be US only?

DVR2000 is an open-source PVR solution. Doesn't
address anything besides timeshifting/recording. (
http://www.maksil.com ) It has pretty weak EPG
integration, but of course that means other countries
integrate more easily.

That's all I know of for Windows. By the way, NONE of
those products have Chris' (or their own!) sweet
automatic commercial skipping code. Sage claims to be
considering it, but they want to do some sort of
marker approach. The problem is no commercial company
will truly offer that feature because of the clout of
the entertainment companies. Right now the best
available is user-defined (10 second, 30 second, etc.)
skip buttons.

If I had the time I would put together a kick-#*( web
site describing what's out there for PVR's... it's
pathetic the amount of information readily available
for Windows and/or Linux stuff.

There are a few web sites mentioning the Linux stuff,
but they all seem to be basically dead and there
really isn't anything serious outside of Myth or
Freevo for Linux anyway.

I'm still personally trying to make the tradeoff
between Myth (completely open source, most features,
wife won't touch Linux, a lot more maintenance work
and headaches) versus a SageTV/HTPC combo (partially
closed source, doesn't have true commercial skipping
(might soon, might not ever), has scheduling smarts (I
personally like that feature), currently must use HW
encoder, wife could use machine to check email or
other programs, etc.) That's just a sample of the
questions involved, it's certainly not an easy call...

- Jason