[mythtv-users] has anyone looked at the prismiq mediaplayer

Steve Davidson buzzdat1 at attbi.com
Thu Jun 12 22:39:44 EDT 2003

On Wed, 2003-06-11 at 18:30, Eric Estabrooks wrote:
> http://www.thinkgeek.com/electronics/video/5e77/
>
> It says its running debian linux (embedded) and has an mpeg decoder in
> it.  Looks like it might make an nice frontend box for mythtv, has ir
> remote and everything.
>
> Was just curious if people had looked at it or thought it might be a
> possibility?  Not sure how difficult setting up a cross compilier
> environment for it would be.  Might be easier to replace the backend
> portion with hooks into mythbackend (currently their backend only runs
> under windows) and keep it's frontend.
>
> Eric

It would probably take some work to get all of the tools together, but
would certainly be possible.  Setting up a GNU toolchain for
cross-compiling isn't that difficult - check out O'Reilly's "Building
Embedded Linux Systems" for a step-by-step guide.  I'd suggest lurking
on their dev site or waiting for a hack site to crop up (it's
inevitable).

I haven't looked closely at the MythFrontend code to be certain, but I
don't think that theres anything that would tie you to x86. Can anyone
confirm this?

My MythFE/Pundit distribution (work-in-progress) is built entirely with
GNU and other open-source components; when complete, it would be pretty
easy to tweak to be useful in any frontend system.    All of the
components are cross-compilable.  It could also be extended to support a
full frontend/backend solution, though that is not my goal (check the
message archives for more info)

== Steve