[mythtv-users] Re: rpms for 0.9/0.9.1 mythtv/add-ons/photo theme

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at physik.fu-berlin.de
Fri Jun 13 18:47:54 EDT 2003

On Fri, Jun 13, 2003 at 05:09:34PM +0200, Tako Schotanus wrote:
> I do have one question: is the installation now done in a similar way as
> the original distribution?

The general approach hasn't changed.

> I remember that one of the big problems I had with the 0.8 RPMs was that
> the docs (on mythtv.org) seemed to be correct, they were all taking
> about different directories and sometimes even different applications it
> seemed.

Well, the docs on mythtv.org have the difficult task of trying to both
describe installation in general as well as for explicit
distributions. Packages are named differently on say Debian and Red
Hat.

> It probably wouldn't be much of a problem if MythTV was really stable
> for any kind of environment/distro but many people have some kind of
> problem with their setup (be it hardware, drivers, strange kernel
> patches (RH9) etc) and need to be able to use the mythtv.org docs to
> troubleshoot their problems.

MythTV has by definition lots of dependencies, some of which are
extremely dependant on your hardware setup. In that sense the
mythtv.org docs are doing what the distribution provider should have
done. ;)
Axel.Thimm at physik.fu-berlin.de