[mythtv-users] Very low volume when recording -- Can I fix this?

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Sun Jun 15 23:50:12 EDT 2003

I have capture working for both these cards so here's my $.02.

John Klimek wrote:
 > I'm using a Ensoniq AudioPCI card (Soundblaster AudioPCI).  On my
backend,
 > in the ALSA Mixer, I have the Line-In set to the record and the
volume (for
 > Line-In) maxed.  On the frontend (X-Box), in the MythTV setup I have
the PCM
 > volume set the max.
 >
 > The volume is still VERY low.

As Isaac mentioned, it is "Capture" that controls the volume
level for recording from the input marked for CAPTUR. The
Line-in level should only affect the patched through analog
sound when Line-in is unmuted.

Joseph H. Fry wrote:
  > I had a similar problem with a SB Live 5.1, before I installed/updated
  > alsa I had a slider called "o-gain", once I updated alsa I lost this
  > slider and thus only had extremely low volume.
  >
  > Never did solve this, I just installed an older soundcard, however I
  > intend to use this card again when I set up a new system, so I'm
  > interested to hear a solution if anyone has it.

The SB Live is a little trickier because more than one Capture
slider affects the record level. There seems to be one general
"Capture" slider then several other sliders to control the
capture level for each different type of input source ("Wave
Capture", "Surround Digital Capture", "IEC958 Optical Capture").
In order to get a normal record level I have to turn up the
volume on "Capture", AND "AC97 Capture". I also have the
"Wave Capture" turned up but I think that was for something
other than myth.

--  bjm