[mythtv-users] Memory Consumption...cont...strange

Isaac Richards ijr at po.cwru.edu
Mon Jun 16 14:55:42 EDT 2003

On Monday 16 June 2003 11:39 pm, Ken Thompson wrote:
> I have 256 MB of PC133 Ram, Nvidia Geforce 4 MX400 Vid card,
> Soundblaster Audigy sound card and some vanilla motherboard + system
> components.  When running mythfrontend the usage of ram exponentially
> grows from approx 200MB to 250MB (which is 2 MB less then my total
> system ram as reported by gnome system monitor).  Before I was using
> 64MB of shared memory for the onboard video card, and mythfrontend was
> eating up all the ram minus 2 MB.  Is it normal for mythfrontend to eat
> all of my ram?!  If I was to pin the tail on the assumption donkey it
> smells like a memory leak.  This memory issue is causing mythfrontend (a
> few hours into use) to be very slow responding, and frequent video/audio
> pausing. (I suspect)
>
> Tomorrow I should be able to bump the ram up to approx 700 MB, hopefully
> this helps.

To get the _real_ amount of ram that's used/free on a system, run 'free' from
a command line, and look at the -/+ buffers/cache line.  The top line (which
is what is reported by 'top' and pretty much every system monitoring app),
includes all your internal kernel buffers, etc, that are freed as necessary.

Isaac