[mythtv-users] Possible Memory Leak?

Isaac Richards ijr at po.cwru.edu
Tue Jun 17 10:46:39 EDT 2003

On Tuesday 17 June 2003 08:49 am, Timothy Vann wrote:
> I've just setup MythTv  for the first time and I seem to have a memory
> leak.  I'm running with a PVR-250, 512MB of ram and 512MB swap.
> Basically, everything starts up fine and runs for a few hours, then my
> system hangs tight because I'm out of memory.  I can watch the memory
> used gradually grow and killing off mythbackend doesn't recover the
> memory(hence why I think it's a leak).  If I don't start mythtv then the
> box runs fine.  At this point I'm not sure if the leak is comming from
> MythTv or from the ivtv driver.  Just thought I'd see if anyone had seen
> this same problem or had any suggestions.

If it were a memory leak in mythtv, killing off the process would free the
RAM.  Leaked memory in a userland application doesn't stick around after the
application is gone.

As I posted yesterday, but apparently no one read:

To get the _real_ amount of ram that's used/free on a system, run 'free' from
a command line, and look at the -/+ buffers/cache line.  The top line (which
is what is reported by 'top' and pretty much every system monitoring app),
includes all your internal kernel buffers, etc, that are freed as necessary.

Isaac